[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] dumb question: how to start packet TX and set the payload

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Thu Jan 21 07:15:35 CET 2016

Hello,

I was trying to just use the default PKT file, test/set_seq.pkt, like so:

sudo "./app/app/${RTE_TARGET}/pktgen" \
-l 2,3 \
--master-lcore 2 \
-n 2 \
-m 1024 \
-w 0a:00.1 \
--no-shconf \
--file-prefix pktgen \
-- \
-P \
-m 2.0 \
-f test/set_seq.pkt

After pktgen loaded, the port 0 is marked as UP. So I typed "start all"
and also tried "str". Sadly, so far, it seems like I could not get this
to actually begin sending any packets. At least, no counters are
incrementing in the pktgen UI. So I wasn't sure how to make sure it is
really sending or not.

The documentation talked about many different commands available, but it
didn't specifically say how to start transmitting the packets based on
the content of your *.pkt script file.

I'm just trying to figure out what I messed up so that I can write
(another) doc patch besides the one I just sent a moment ago.

I was also curious about putting some specific payloads into the packets
in pktgen. There are many ways of configuring the packet size, but it
doesn't talk about how and where to set the packet content. This is
important for my app as its performance will go up and down depending on
if the L4-L7 data has "interesting" content inside or not.

Sincerely,
Matthew.