[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] fixing weird termio issues that complicate debugging

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Jan 21 16:03:37 CET 2016

On 1/21/16, 2:46 AM, "Panu Matilainen" <pmatilai at redhat.com> wrote:

>On 01/20/2016 06:26 PM, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>> On 1/20/16, 12:32 AM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces at dpdk.org on behalf of mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Since the pktgen code is reindented I am finding time to read through it
>>> and experiment and see if I can get it working.
>>>
>>> I have issues with the init process of pktgen. It is difficult to debug
>>> it because the init code does a lot of very scary stuff to the terminal
>>> control / TTY device at inconvenient times in an inconvenient order, and
>>> in the process damages the debug output and damages the screen of your
>>> GDB without doing weird things to run GDB on a different TTY.
>>>
>>> Of course I am willing to contribute patches and not just complain, but
>>> first I need some help to follow what is going on.
>>>
>>> Here is the problematic call-flow with some explanation what went wrong
>>> trying it on some community machines outside of its original environment:
>>>
>>> 1) it calls printf("\n%s %s\n", wr_copyright_msg(), wr_powered_by());
>>> which dumps tons of weird boilerplate of licenses, copyrights, code
>>> creator, etc.
>>>
>>> It is open source and everybody that matters already knows who coded it,
>>> so is this stuff really that important? This gets in the way when you
>>> are trying to work on it and I just have to comment it out.
>>
>> One problem is a number of people wanted to steal the code and use in
>> a paid application, so the copyright is some what a requirement.
>
>In that case, why is it under a BSD'ish license instead of something
>like GPL that's designed to prevent it in the first place? Might be too
>late to change it by now, just wondering.

DPDK is BSD, so you can not use a GPL application with DPDK (I think) anyway I can try to speed you the screens, but does it really matter as these are only at startup and I normally leave pktgen running for long periods of time. The extra time at the start does not seem to be a big issue, right?

>> As you may know I do a lot of debugging on Pktgen and I feel they are
>> a nuisance. I can try to see if we can clean up these messages, but
>> do not hold your breath on getting them to be removed.
>
>It would make a world of difference if it just printed the copyright etc
>in a couple of lines during startup, instead of taking over the entire
>screen for several seconds.
>
>This is a whole lot like those anti-piracy ad campaigns on DVDs which
>you cant skip, so all the *legitimate* users are forced to suffer
>through them but all the bad guys just rip it out of their copies. DRM
>that ends up hurting the legitimate users the most is never a good idea.
>
>	- Panu -

Regards,
Keith