[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Jan 21 16:27:58 CET 2016

From: Arnon Warshavsky <arnon at qwilt.com<mailto:arnon at qwilt.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM
To: "Keith Wiles (Intel)" <keith.wiles at intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles at intel.com>>
Cc: Matthew Hall <mhall at mhcomputing.net<mailto:mhall at mhcomputing.net>>, "dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>" <dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] additional terminal IO question

Keith,
On my end I'm ending with black on black with Konsole 2.3.3 on Centos 6.5 starting as green on black.

I changed my console to green on black and got the same results. When I quit Pktgen the cursor color and text return to green. I can not set the cursor color different from the text color on this terminal. This maybe a problem with kconsole. Using xterm the cursor and text are restored as well.

I would need to install a Centos 6.5 with Konsole. I can run konsole, but the setting will not allow me to adjust the colors most likely it needs more then just konsole installed with this MATE window system. Even in this default state of black on white the cursor returns as black with black text, which could be the problem???

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles at intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles at intel.com>> wrote:
On 1/20/16, 11:53 PM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces at dpdk.org<mailto:dev-bounces at dpdk.org> on behalf of mhall at mhcomputing.net<mailto:mhall at mhcomputing.net>> wrote:

>If I try using pktgen theme mode (-T) or unmodified, without commenting
>out some of the stuff I mentioned I disabled for debugging in the
>(black text on black??? or I'm not sure just want) on my TTY which has a
>black background.

I am not sure what you changed for debugging, but on my Ubuntu 15.10 using MATE Terminal 1.10.1 with a black background and white text the cursor remains as white after I quit Pktgen. If you have a crash for some reason the cmdline code leaves the TTY in a raw mode no echo, which is just like no cursor. I have to also do ’stty sane’ to get echo/cursor back on. Is this what is happing to you?

I created a white-black.theme I was using and did not try to make it pretty as I use a black on light yellow background. Here is the theme.
theme default white none off
theme top.spinner cyan none bold
theme top.ports green none bold
theme top.page white none off
theme top.copyright yellow none off
theme top.poweredby blue none bold
theme sep.dash blue none off
theme sep.text white none off
theme stats.port.label blue none bold
theme stats.port.flags blue none bold
theme stats.port.status green none bold
theme stats.dyn.label yellow none off
theme stats.dyn.values yellow none off
theme stats.stat.label magenta none off
theme stats.stat.values white none off
theme stats.total.label red none bold
theme stats.colon blue none bold
theme pktgen.prompt green none off
cls

Please give more details next time to help me understand the problem like OS type, terminal type used, versions, …

Thanks
++Keith

>If you quit the app it does not reset the colors so my shell is also
>invisible, until I blindly run the reset command.
>
>Did anybody else try it on a black background? Did anybody else see
>these issues with it as well?
>
>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith