[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/2] slow data path communication between DPDK port and Linux

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Fri Jan 22 17:56:15 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:31:45PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> Hi Ferruh,
>
> Not commenting the implementation, just the method.
>
> 2016-01-22 16:00, Ferruh Yigit:
> > This is slow data path communication implementation based on existing KNI.
> > Difference is: librte_kni converted into a PMD, kdp kernel module is almost
> > same except all control path functionality removed and some simplification done.
>
> Is there a chance to submit such kernel module on LKML instead of DPDK?
> We should avoid maintaining some out-of-tree modules.

The ones I have sent are not generic enough to be in Linux tree.

We already maintain kni kernel module, these patches are part of effort to make
kni more maintainable, by separation of concerns, removing network drivers from it,
and simplifying some of code.

For this patch set, tun/tap interface can be alternative, and it looks like it
removes out-of-tree kernel module requirement, unless people want current
FIFO implementation because of better performance.

For control path, unfortunately I am not aware of any solution without out-of-tree
kernel module support.

Thanks,
ferruh