[dpdk-dev] ixgbevf does not recover from pf reset

Wu, Jingjing jingjing.wu at intel.com
Mon Jan 25 02:58:28 CET 2016

Hi

Yes. But just consider about how to use DPDK on eth device. During bring up we need:
eth_dev_init
rte_pktmbuf_pool_create
rte_eth_dev_configure
rte_eth_rx_queue_setup
rte_eth_tx_queue_setup
rte_eth_dev_start

All above behavior need to be called by application, pmd driver cannot did all the
Recovery without application's help.
By the simple notification mechanism, application can simple call following step to recovery:

Stop forwarding on this device (rx, tx)
rte_eth_dev_close
rte_eth_dev_detach
rte_eth_dev_attach
rte_eth_dev_configure
rte_eth_rx_queue_setup
rte_eth_tx_queue_setup
rte_eth_dev_start

Any idea is welcome. We are eager to hear better solution on that.
Anyway, no matter whether the recovery is done by application, the patches mentioned
Is also useful to notice user about the even. Correct?

Thanks
Jingjing