[dpdk-dev] I211, Double VLAN tags and VLAN Stripping not working

Padam Jeet Singh padam.singh at inventum.net
Mon Jul 11 12:24:28 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am using the development branch of DPDK and am trying out double tagging using the DPDK PMD E1000 driver.

From a code perspective, I have the following:

In rte_eth_conf.rxmode:
hw_vlan_extend = 1,
hw_vlan_strip = 1,

In the port setup code :
	called rte_eth_dev_set_vlan_ether_type(port_id, ETH_VLAN_TYPE_OUTER, 0x88a8);

However, the MBUF received still comes with ether type 0x88a8 with both mbuf->vlan_tci and mbuf->vlan_tci_outer set to zero. Basically the VLAN stripping is not taking place. When I do a code search for vlan_tci_outer, it seems only the Intel i40 and one another actually populate these fields.

I am not sure if this is I211 Ethernet controller limitation or DPDK driver limitation.

Any pointers on how can I get VLAN stripping enabled for E1000 PMD for both inner and outer VLANs? The single VLAN stripping case works fine in same code.

Thanks,
Padam