[dpdk-dev] capture packets on VM

Pattan, Reshma reshma.pattan at intel.com
Fri Jul 15 16:02:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

On DPDK you can capture packets with app/pdump/ tool. This tool is available for use from 16.07RC1.
What you can do is run testpmd and see if packets are seen in testpmd, that confirms if packets are landing on dpdk ports or not.
If you also want to capture packet for analysis, you need to run app/pdump/ tool along with testpmd.
The pdump tool captures the packet to pcap file, so you can use tcpdump -ni <pcap file> to view the packets.
More about the tool usage can be found under doc/guides/sample_app_ug/pdump.rst

Let me know if you need further help on this.

Thanks,
Reshma