[dpdk-dev] using virtio driver in dpdk release 2.0

Shirley Avishour shirley at imvisiontech.com
Tue Jul 19 17:00:27 CEST 2016

Hi,
We are using KVM for loading our VM using e1000 driver for the VM interface.
we noticed that the maximum rate (rx/tx) I get is 10Mbps.
I am currently attempting to move to virtio driver using dpdk release 2.0.
>From the documentation it seems that I have to load my dpdk application
with librte_pmd_virtio.so.
1) The Makefile under lib/librte_pmd_virtio creates a static library. do I
have to write another Makefile for shared object?
2) there is a known bug regarding application taking control of the kernel
managed virtio device, and it seems that there is a patch for this bug only
for release 16.04  - is that correct? is there a patch for release 2.0 as
well?
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/12462/
3) I tried to run my application with the librte_pmd_virtio.so which I
compiled but the application fails to load the interfaces. is it a known
issue in release 2.0?

thanks.