[dpdk-dev] em1000 driver lockup in KVM

Prabahar Radhakrishnan prab at viptela.com
Fri Jul 22 23:19:29 CEST 2016

Hi,
       I was running a dpdk application with e1000 driver and I am facing a
rare driver lockup condition.  Under this condition, what I am seeing is
that the Receive side locks up.  The transmit side is fine.  When I execute
"rte_eth_dev_stop()/rte_eth_dev_start()" from within the VM, the dpdk
application recovers.  The lockup happens once in 2 or 3 days if I
continuously ping an IP address serviced by the dpdk application.  Once it
locks up, what I am noticing is that even though packets are coming in, the
driver is not populating them and signaling the event.  In other words, in
"eth_em_recv_pkts" call, I am not seeing "E1000_RXD_STAT_DD" being set for
status, and the driver bails out.  If anyone has come across such
condition, please let me know?  Appreciate the help.

Environment:  I have a VM running on top of Ubuntu/KVM.
Application: Running dpdk-2.0.0.
VM: uses e1000 driver.
On the KVM side, our port is sitting in a bridge.  There are other VNFs
that we use for testing and some of them are using virtio driver.

Thank You
regards Prab