[dpdk-dev] Compiler hardening flags for libraries and performance implications

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Jul 27 17:46:37 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 12:58:12PM +0000, Mcnamara, John wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Maybe you kick this off and submit something to the new howto section of the docs with whatever tuning tips you have so far.
>
> Then we can get people to contribute over time until we have something more useful.
>
> John

Believe me, I'd really love to do so but I really don't have any clue about
CFLAGS, how to find the problematic LOCs for CPU usage, cache misses, etc. I
think I wrote some previous mails about different challenges I ran into.

I feel like there is a certain amount of knowledge inside of Intel and 6WIND
about these things that hasn't propagated to the rest of the community.

Maybe we could find a way to have some hackathons in Silicon Valley where
people could work on code or projects together? Then we could see about
spreading and documenting some of the organic knowledge to improve the coding
and tuning guides. The Meetups seem to demo new features but they don't talk
about testing and tuning there sadly.

I'm really up for any ideas, it's something I struggled with ever since the
beginning of when I used DPDK 1.x in 2011.

Matthew.