[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Yet another option for DPDK options

Jay Rolette rolette at infinite.io
Wed Jun 1 17:58:41 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:

> Started from the link below, but did not want to highjack the thread.
> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-June/040021.html
>
> I was thinking about this problem from a user perspective and command line
> options are very difficult to manage specifically when you have a large
> number of options as we have in dpdk. I see all of these options as a type
> of database of information for the DPDK and the application, because the
> application command line options are also getting very complex as well.
>
> I have been looking at a number of different options here and the
> direction I was thinking was using a file for the options and
> configurations with the data in a clean format. It could have been a INI
> file or JSON or XML, but they all seem to have some problems I do not like.
> The INI file is too flat and I wanted a hierarchy in the data, the JSON
> data is similar and XML is just hard to read. I wanted to be able to manage
> multiple applications and possible system the DPDK/app runs. The problem
> with the above formats is they are just data and not easy to make decisions
> about the system and applications at runtime.

INI format is simplest for users to read, but if you really need hierarchy,
JSON will do that just fine. Not sure what you mean by "JSON data is
similar"...

> If the “database” of information could be queried by the EAL, drivers and
> application then we do not need to try and create a complex command line.
> It would be nice to execute a DPDK applications like this:
>
> ./some_dpdk_app –config-file dpdk-config-filename

+1 much nicer than the mess that is EAL command line args today.

> The dpdk-config-filename could contain a lot of information and be able to
> startup multiple different applications. The dpdk-config-file could also
> include other config files to complete the configuration. The format of the
> data in the config file needs to be readable, but allow the user to put in
> new options, needs to be hierarchical in nature and have some simple
> functions to execute if required.
>
> The solution I was thinking is the file information is really just a
> fragment of a scripting language, which the DPDK application contains this
> scripting language interpreter. I was looking at using Lua lua.org as the
> scripting language interpreter it is small and easy to understand. Python
> and others are very big and require a lot of resources and Lua requires
> very few system resources. Also I did not want to have to write a parser
> (lex/yacc). The other nice feature of Lua is you can create a sandbox for
> the code to run in and limit the type of system resources and APIs that can
> be accessed by the application and configuration. Lua can be trimmed down
> to a fairly small size and builds on just about any system or we can just
> install Lua on the system without changes from a rpm or deb.

There are JSON and INI file parser libraries for pretty much any language
you care to use. That shouldn't be a factor in choosing file format.

The argument about "Python and others are very big and require a lot of
resources" doesn't end up mattering much since it is already required by a
couple of the DPDK tools (in particular, dpdk_nic_bind.py).

> I use Lua in pktgen at this time and the interface between ‘C’ and Lua is
> very simple and easy. Currently I include Lua in Pktgen, but I could have
> just used a system library.
>
> The data in the config file can be data statements along with some limited
> code to make some data changes at run time without having to modify the
> real application. Here is a simple config file I wrote: Some of the options
> do not make sense to be in the file at the same time, but wanted to see all
> of the options. The mk_lcore_list() and mk_coremap() are just Lua functions
> we can preload to help convert the simple strings into real data in this
> case tables of information. The application could be something like pktgen
> = { map = { … }, more_options = 1, } this allows the same file to possible
> contain many application configurations. Needs a bit more work.
>
> dpdk_default = {

<snip>

> }
>
> The EAL, driver, application, … would query an API to access the data and
> the application can change his options quickly without modifying the code.
>
> Anyway comments are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Keith

I like the concept overall. I'd suggest separating out the Lua thing. Lua's
fine for scripting, but nothing here really requires it or saves a lot of
development work.

Jay