[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Yet another option for DPDK options

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 2 09:56:46 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 03:00:11PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> I have been looking at a number of different options here and the direction I was thinking was using a file for the options and configurations with the data in a clean format.

It should be helpful and handy for productive usage. But for development
and debugging, I'd say CLI options is more convenient and flexible. I
would be more willing to fiddle with CLI options than editing config files.

In another word, +1, but I would also assume that we will keep the CLI
options.

> It could have been a INI file or JSON or XML, but they all seem to have some problems I do not like. The INI file is too flat and I wanted a hierarchy in the data, the JSON data is similar and XML is just hard to read. I wanted to be able to manage multiple applications and possible system the DPDK/app runs. The problem with the above formats is they are just data and not easy to make decisions about the system and applications at runtime.

__Just__ want to increase the chaos a bit, here is another option:
YAML, which supports comments.

> If the “database” of information could be queried by the EAL, drivers and application then we do not need to try and create a complex command line. It would be nice to execute a DPDK applications like this:
>
> ./some_dpdk_app –config-file dpdk-config-filename

It could be simpler if you hardcode a default config file, say
/etc/dpdk.conf.

I'm thinking OVS guys would be happy to see that? :)

	--yliu