[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Yet another option for DPDK options

Arnon Warshavsky arnon at qwilt.com
Fri Jun 3 14:01:24 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 12:01:30PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> rte_eal_init,

> change to that structure anytime we add or remove an option. I was thinking
> a very simple DB of some kind would be better. Have the code query the DB
> to obtain the needed information. The APIs used to query and set the DB
> needs to be very easy to use as well.

> struct that

> simple variable type can be used for the basic types (int, string, bool, …)

> I'd handle
> and char

> still make sense?

> good

> > > I'll throw out one implementation idea here that I looked at
> previously, for
> > > the reason that it was simple enough implement with existing code.
> > >
> > > We already have the cfgfile library which works with name/value pairs
> read from
> > > ini files on disk. However, it would be easy enough to add couple of
> APIs to
> > > that to allow the user to "set" values inside an ini structure as
> well. With
> > > that done we can then just add a new eal_init api which takes a single
> > > "struct rte_cfgfile *" as parameter. For those apps that want to just
> use
> > > inifiles for configuration straight, they can then do:
> > >
> > > cfg = rte_cfgfile_load("my_cfg_file");
> > > rte_eal_newinit(cfg);
> > >
> > > Those who want a different config can instead do:
> > >
> > > cfg = rte_cfgfile_new();
> > > rte_cfgfile_add_section(cfg, "dpdk");
> > > foreach_eal_setting_wanted:
> > >     rte_cfgfile_set(cfg, "dpdk", mysetting, myvalue);
> > > rte_eal_newinit(cfg);
> > >
> > From chatting to a couple of other DPDK dev's here I suspect I may not
> have
> > been entirely clear here with this example. What is being shown above is
> building
> > up a "config-file" in memory - or rather a config structure which
> happens to
> > have the idea of sections and values as an ini file has. There is no
> actual
> > file ever being written to disk, and for those using any non-ini config
> file
> > structure for their app, the code overhead of using the APIs above
> should be
> > pretty much the same as building up any other set of key-value pairs in
> > memory to pass to an init function.
> >
> > Hope this is a little clearer now.
> >
> I'm fine with the idea of reusing the config file library that currently
> exists,
> or more to the point, modifying it to be usable as a configuration API,
> rather
> than a configuration file parser.  My primary interest is in separating
> the user
> configuration mechanism from the internal library configuration lookup
> mechanism.  What I would really like to be able to see is application
> [...]
If the there is no configuration structure , rather an opaque configuration
key/value store ,
the user applications can set and get knobs that are not seen by anyone
(library) that does not know them by name

e.g

int num_nodes = getCfgInt ( cfgObject , "eal" , "num_numa_nodes");
int delay = getCfgInt ( cfgObject , "drivers.ixgbe" , "some_delay");
setCfgInt (cfgObject , "my_app" , "num_days" , 7);
setCfgString (cfgObject , "my_app" , "best_day" , "Wednesday");

/Arnon