[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Yet another option for DPDK options

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Fri Jun 3 19:44:37 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 04:04:14PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> Sorry, I deleted all of the text as it was getting a bit long.
>
> Here are my thoughts as of now, which is a combination of many suggestions I read from everyone’s emails. I hope this is not too hard to understand.
>
> - Break out the current command line options out of the DPDK common code and move into a new lib.
>   - At this point I was thinking of keeping the rte_eal_init(args, argv) API and just have it pass the args/argv to the new lib to create the data storage.
>      - Maybe move the rte_eal_init() API to the new lib or keep it in the common eal code. Do not want to go hog wild.
>   - The rte_eal_init(args, argv) would then call to the new API rte_eal_initialize(void), which in turn queries the data storage. (still thinking here)
These three items seem to be the exact opposite of my suggestion.  The point of
this change was to segregate the parsing of configuration away from the
initalization dpdk using that configurtion.  By keeping rte_eal_init in such a
way that the command line is directly passed into it, you've not changed that
implicit binding to command line options.

I can understand if you want to keep rte_eal_init as is for ABI purposes, but
then you should create an rte_eal_init2(foo), where foo is some handle to in
memory parsed configuration, so that applications can preform that separation.

Neil