[dpdk-dev] Duplicate config symbols

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jun 13 17:09:54 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
wrote:

> 2016-06-13 13:50, Christian Ehrhardt:
> > I wondered multiple times now when changing a config symbol that some of
> > them are in the .config file multiple times.
> > I totally feel like I'm overlooking something, but still it might be
> worth
> > to ask.
> [...]
> > Is there any reason to do so or is this an issue in make config?
>
> It is an issue in "make config" which has never been considered important.

I didn't want to make it more important :-)
I'm fine with the second occurrence overwriting as it did a while now and
knowing it is not a totally unknown issue.

I had seen the old argument for not moving them out completely in the old
thread - thanks for the link - that was important to understand why they
are still there.
Also found related patches from Keith about that now.

> We could remove the first - overridden - occurences.
> I think it can be fixed in mk/rte.sdkconfig.mk.

You mean just filtering them eventually while keeping them where they are
so that the old request to have "the base config shows all config options"
still fulfilled - yeah that could be an approach to make everybody happy.
But then it would make for some evil unreadable sed or such, I could live
with it as is knowing it is accepted as-is.
I'll submit an RFC, but hope for someone with more dark magic to make it
nicer.

Kind Regards,
Christian