[dpdk-dev] backtracing from within the code

Matt Laswell laswell at infinite.io
Mon Jun 27 17:42:14 CEST 2016

I've done something similar to what's described in the link below.  But
it's worth pointing out that it's using printf() inside a signal handler,
which isn't safe. If your use case is catching SIGSEGV, for example,
solutions built on printf() will usually work, but can deadlock.  One way
around the problem is to call write() directly, passing it stdout's file
handle.

For example, I have this in my code:
#define WRITE_STRING(fd, s) write (fd, s, strlen (s))

In my signal handlers, I use the above like this:
        WRITE_STRING(STDOUT_FILENO, "Stack trace:\n");

This approach is a little bit more cumbersome to code, but safer.

The last time that I looked the DPDK rte_dump_stack() is using vfprintf(),
which isn't safe in a signal handler.  However, it's been several DPDK
releases since I peeked at the details.

--
Matt Laswell
Principal Software Engineer