[dpdk-dev] New driver (large patch) question.

Stephen Hurd stephen.hurd at broadcom.com
Thu Mar 3 00:10:51 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
wrote:

> > The comments in it are the only publicly available
> > documentation on the hardware I'm aware of.
>
> So you must keep the comments.

That's my goal, but the comments are well over the 300k limit.

> > The driver itself doesn't have a lot of optional features in it, it's the
> > header file that's too big.
>
> It is big because there are many different things.
> You can split the file in different patches.
> Examples:
>         - a patch for RSS will bring the hardware structures for RSS
>         - a patch for the stats will bring the hardware stats structures
>         etc

Should I split additional definitions/documentation that's not currently
used in the driver as well?  Or should it stay as only enough to document
what the driver already does?

The header file is expected to be publicly released in the future, so I
tried to keep it as close to the original as possible.  I'm not strongly
attached to this approach, but it does make it easier to support future
firmware releases.

It's a fairly work-intensive project to deconstruct the existing driver
into a series of small patches that work at each step, is this a hard
requirement? (if so, I'd better get cracking)

PS: please answer inline

Sorry, $work just switched us to GMail and I'm still learning the ropes.