[dpdk-dev] [RFC 35/35] mempool: update copyright

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 15:57:14 CET 2016

On 03/09/2016 08:52 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I understand that 6Wind has made major contributions to DPDK in many places.
>
> I would prefer that each file not get copyright additions from each
> contributor,
> otherwise this starts a bad precedent where the source gets cluttered with
> every contributor.

That, and they also add rather useless noise to patches and commit
history just because people feel compelled to update the copyright years.

Many projects have a separate credits file where contributors get noted,
but I guess those tend to be under copyleft licenses, the BSD license
expects somebody to claim copyright.

Anyway, I'd much rather see one toplevel license where all such updates
go. It'd make life easier for packagers whose distros require including
a license file in packages, and it'd also help fix the first impression
of dpdk being under [L]GPL (which easily happens if you just glimpse at
the toplevel source directory)

This is of course getting a bit side-tracked for this patch...

	- Panu -