[dpdk-dev] vmxnet3: add mac_addr_add function ?

Vincent Li vincent.mc.li at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:14:10 CET 2016

Hi,

I have a DPDK app running in ESXi guest with vmxnet3 adapter, but
packet seems to be dropped, the debug output has following line which
I am not sure if it is the cause of the packet drop:

rte_eth_dev_config_restore: port 0: MAC address array not supported

               /* add address to the hardware */
                if  (*dev->dev_ops->mac_addr_add &&
                        (dev->data->mac_pool_sel[i] & (1ULL << pool)))
                        (*dev->dev_ops->mac_addr_add)(dev, &addr, i, pool);
                else {
                        RTE_PMD_DEBUG_TRACE("port %d: MAC address
array not supported\n",
                                        port_id);
                        /* exit the loop but not return an error */
                        break;
                }

vmxnet3 has not implemented mac_addr_add, any idea how to implement it
in drivers/net/vmxnet3/vmxnet3_ethdev.c ?

I looked at the igb mac_addr_add implementation, not sure how to adapt
the about the function parameter "index" and "pool" for vmxnet3.

also looked at the recent implementation of vmxnet3 mac_addr_set,
still not clear about the detail on how to handle "index" and "pool"
in mac_addr_add proto type.

Thanks!

Vincent