[dpdk-dev] Fwd: EAL: map_all_hugepages(): mmap failed: Cannot allocate memory

John Wei johntwei at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 18:24:32 CET 2016

Thanks for the reply. Upon further debugging, I was able to root caused the
issue. In the cgroup, in addition to limiting the CPU, I also limited the
node where my OVS can allocate the memory (cpuset.mems). I understand that
DPDK first grab all the memory, then pick the best memory pages, then
release the rest. But this is taking a long time for my case that I started
many OVSs on the same host.
Each DPDK app will need to wait for previous app to release the memory
before next app can proceed.
In addition, since I have specified that (through cgroup cpuset.mems) dont
get memory from other node, DPDK library may be can skipp grabbing memory
from these excluded nodes?

Just some thoughts.

John