[dpdk-dev] memory allocation requirements

Alejandro Lucero alejandro.lucero at netronome.com
Wed May 18 12:28:03 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
wrote:

> After looking at the patches for container support, it appears that
> some changes are needed in the memory management:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.networking.dpdk.devel/32786/focus=32788
>
> I think it is time to collect what are the needs and expectations of
> the DPDK memory allocator. The goal is to satisfy every needs while
> cleaning the API.
> Here is a first try to start the discussion.
>
> The memory allocator has 2 classes of API in DPDK.
> First the user/application allows or requires DPDK to take over some
> memory resources of the system. The characteristics can be:
>         - numa node
>         - page size
>         - swappable or not
>         - contiguous (cannot be guaranteed) or not
>         - physical address (as root only)
> Then the drivers or other libraries use the memory through
>         - rte_malloc
>         - rte_memzone
>         - rte_mempool
> I think we can integrate the characteristics of the requested memory
> in rte_malloc. Then rte_memzone would be only a named rte_malloc.
> The rte_mempool still focus on collection of objects with cache.
>
> If a rework happens, maybe that the build options CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IVSHMEM
> and CONFIG_RTE_EAL_SINGLE_FILE_SEGMENTS can be removed.
> The Xen support should also be better integrated.
>
> Currently, the first class of API is directly implemented as command line
> parameters. Please let's think of C functions first.
> The EAL parameters should simply wrap some API functions and let the
> applications tune the memory initialization with a well documented API.
>
> Probably that I forget some needs, e.g. for the secondary processes.
> Please comment.

Just to mention VFIO IOMMU mapping should be adjusted for just those
memsegs physically contiguous which rte_pktmbuf_pool_create will allocate
along with those hugepages backing driver/device descriptor rings. Mapping
all the memsegs is not a performance issue but I think it is the right
thing to do.

Maybe some memseg flag like "DMA_CAPABLE" or similar should be used for
IOMMU mapping.

Other question is avoiding to use mbufs from no "DMA_CAPABLE" segments with
a device. I'm thinking about an DPDK app using a virtio network driver and
a device-backed PMD at the same time what could be a possibility for having
best of both worlds (intra-host and inter-host VM communications).