[dpdk-dev] Rx_missed_errors drops with larger packet size

SwamZ swamssrk at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:09:02 CEST 2016

Hi,

While doing performance testing with larger packet size (like 4000 bytes),
we are seeing rx_missed_errors on the interface. This issue is not seen
with packet size less than 2000. There were questions asked in this forum
on rx_missed_error, but there was not any conclusion. Please let me know
what could be the reason for these drops.

I tried the following without any luck:

1) Tried different burst size like 16, 32 an 64

2) Tried different number of the rx descriptors like 512, 1024, 2048 and
4096.

Setup and testing details:

CPU Speed : 2.6 GHz

NIC           : 82599ES 10-Gigabit

IO Virtualization: SR-IOV

IO and packet processing cores are in the same NUMA.

Packet size : 4000 bytes

Traffic rate: 80 % line rate. If the traffic rate is < ~80% then drops are
not seen.

Application: This is a sample application developed using L3fwd example app.

DPDK version: 1.7
Thanks,
Swamy