[dpdk-dev] [REQUEST] New repository request for project SPP

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Thu May 26 18:48:07 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

SPP: Soft Patch Panel, a new project on top of DPDK library.

Code is close to its first release, and we would like to open source the
project and host it under dpdk.org.

Can you please create a new repository under dpdk.org named "spp",
and add me as the maintainer of the repo?

Main contributors of the project are Sy Jong Choi and Gerald Rogers, but
the project is be open to anyone and we would be happy to see other
contributors.

For now it is planned to used dpdk mail list for announcements and for
urgent issues.

High Level Description:

SPP is a framework for managing DPDK resources.

The goal of SPP is to easily interconnect DPDK applications together,
and assign resources dynamically to these applications to build a pipeline.

The first version of SPP provides for the management of DPDK ports, and
assigning ports to different DPDK applications.

The framework is composed of a primary DPDK application that is
responsible for resource management. This primary application doesn't
interact with any traffic, and is used to manage creation and freeing of
resources only.

A Python based management interface is provided to control the primary
DPDK application to create resources, which are then to be used by
secondary applications. This management application provides a socket
based interface for the primary and secondary DPDK applications to
interface to the manager. The management application will use OVSDB to
maintain all created and assigned ports.

Thanks,
ferruh