[dpdk-dev] Best Practices for PMD Verification before Upstream Requests

Shepard Siegel shepard.siegel at atomicrules.com
Wed Nov 2 13:21:27 CET 2016

Thomas and DPDK devs,

Almost a year into our DPDK development, we have shipped an alpha version
of our "Arkville" product. We've thankful for all the support from this
group. Most everyone has suggested "get your code upstream ASAP"; but our
team is cut from the "if it isn't tested, it doesn't work" cloth. We now
have some solid miles on our Arkville PMD driver "ark" with 16.07. Mostly
testpmd and a suite of user apps; dts not so much, only because our use
case is a little different. We expect almost all of our contribution would
land under $dpdk/drivers/net/ark . We are looking past 16.11 to possibly
jump on board when the 17.02 window opens in December. One question that
came up is "Should we do a thorough port and regression against 16.11 as a
precursor to up streaming at 17.02?". Constructive feedback always welcome!

-Shep

Shepard Siegel, CTO
atomicrules.com