[dpdk-dev] Possible memory corruption due to incorrect DMA shutdown

George Prekas george.prekas at epfl.ch
Wed Nov 2 16:43:59 CET 2016

I have posted the following messages on users at dpdk.organd it seems that
it was the wrong mailing list:

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2016-March/000340.html

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2016-September/001026.html

I also include the message here for convenience:

I can consistently reproduce this behavior following these steps:

On host A do:

$ sudo modprobe uio
$ sudo insmod ./build/kmod/igb_uio.ko
$ sudo python ./tools/dpdk_nic_bind.py --bind=igb_uio 0000:42:00.1
$ sudo ./build/app/testpmd -- --forward-mode=icmpecho

 From host B (which is on the same local network), do an arping to an
arbitrary IP address C.C.C.C (that is in the same network and it doesn't
belong to another host). DPDK will respond to any IP address. All you
want is to populate host B's ARP cache. Then terminate DPDK and run the
following Python program on host B:

import sys
import socket

A=sys.argv[3] * int(sys.argv[2])

for i in xrange(10000):
   sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
   sock.sendto(A, (sys.argv[1], 1))

as:

$ python go.py C.C.C.C 28 prekageo_was_here_

Then go back to host A and use the physical memory grep tool that you
can find here https://github.com/prekageo/allmemscan

$ make
$ sudo insmod allmem.ko
$ sudo ./allmemscan 28 prekageo_was_here

Optionally:

$ sudo dd if=/dev/allmem bs=4K skip=PAGE count=1 | hexdump -C | less