[dpdk-dev] disable hugepages

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Nov 10 14:10:30 CET 2016

> On Nov 10, 2016, at 6:32 AM, Keren Hochman <keren.hochman at lightcyber.com> wrote:
>
> I tried using the following dpdk options:
> --no-huge --vdev eth_pcap0 ,rx_pcap=/t1,tx_pcap=/t2
> *It's worked but the number of elements is limited, although the machine
> has enough free memory. *rte_mempool_create is failed when I'm trying to
> allocate more memory. Is there any limitation on the memory beside the
> machine?

DPDK will just use the standard linux memory allocator, so no limitation in DPDK. Now you could be hitting the limit as a user, need to check your system to make sure you can allocate that much memory to a user. Try using the command ulimit and see what it reports.

I do not remember exactly how to change limits except with ulimit command. I may have modified /etc/security/limits.conf file.

HTH

> *Thanks, Keren *
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Olivier Matz <olivier.matz at 6wind.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Keren,
>>
>> On 11/09/2016 03:40 PM, Keren Hochman wrote:

>> on a

>> general

>>> I need this option only for testing. How can I use rte_mempool_create if
>>> use --no-huge?
>>
>> When using --no-huge, the dpdk libraries (including mempool) allocate
>> its memory in standard memory. Just keep in mind the physical addresses
>> will be wrong, so this memory cannot be given to hw devices.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Olivier

Regards,
Keith