[dpdk-dev] Proposal: enable redirection of DPDK logs from the user app

Montorsi, Francesco fmontorsi at empirix.com
Tue Oct 4 12:24:17 CEST 2016

Hi all,
I've not been following closely latest DPDK activity but my company is using DPDK and we recently upgraded to 16.07.
We apply several patches to DPDK sources, to make it more similar to a "standard library" (currently it is quite intrusive: calls abort() at will, writes its own log, etc etc)... I think that it may be useful to give back to the community some of these (small) "enhancements".

One of them is about logging: as the application where we embed DPDK already has its log file, we want DPDK to log in our log facility framework.
My "fix" is simple: I just put a callback function in RTE logging system that, by default, points to the existing rte_vlog() function. If needed the library user can provide its own callback function to do what he likes.

The attached patch is what we use right now. I totally understand it needs some rework to put it in a better shape... but first of all: are you interested in such patch?

Thanks,
Francesco Montorsi