[dpdk-dev] Problem Generating Traffic

Mauricio Vasquez mauricio.vasquez at polito.it
Tue Oct 4 22:51:21 CEST 2016

Hello,

While performing a series of throughput testing I found a limitation
while generating traffic.

I have a server equipped with two 10G NICs that are connected using a
Ethernet wire. MoonGen is used to generate traffic on these interfaces,
it shows a performance of 22.52 Mpps. Theoretically it should be 29.76
Mpps (14.88x2) while using 64 bytes long packets.

I tried to implemente a silly traffic generator by myself [1], It uses 4
cores, 2 for sending and 2 for receiving, however in this case the
throughput is still 22.52 Mpps.

I tried many different things, change the number of descriptors in the
NIC, use separated mempools, run two separated DPDK processes, change
the burst size, change the mempool parameters, however the maximum
throughput I can get is always 22.52 Mpps.

My question is, what could be the bottleneck in this case?, is the PCI-e
bus an option?

Any other cue?

Just in case, the server's characteristics:

- Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 @ 3 GHz (ten physical cores plus hyperthreading)
- 64 GB RAM, Ubuntu 15.04, equipped with two 10G Intel 82599ES NICs.
- DPDK 16.07

Thanks in Advance,

Mauricio V.

[1] http://pastebin.com/k565gW6x