[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2] Generic flow director/filtering/classification API

Adrien Mazarguil adrien.mazarguil at 6wind.com
Tue Oct 11 10:21:16 CEST 2016

Hi Wei,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 01:47:53AM +0000, Zhao1, Wei wrote:
> Hi  Adrien Mazarguil,
>      There is a struct rte_flow_action_rss in rte_flow.txt, the  member rss_conf is a pointer type, is there any convenience in using pointer?
> Why not using  struct rte_eth_rss_conf rss_conf type, as rte_flow_item_ipv4/ rte_flow_item_ipv6 struct member?
>
> Thank you.
>
>  struct rte_flow_action_rss {
> 	struct rte_eth_rss_conf *rss_conf; /**< RSS parameters. */
> 	uint16_t queues; /**< Number of entries in queue[]. */
> 	uint16_t queue[]; /**< Queues indices to use. */
> };

Well I thought it made sharing flow RSS configuration with its counterpart
in struct rte_eth_conf easier (this pointer should even be const). Also,
while ABI breakage would still occur if rte_eth_rss_conf happened to be
modified, the impact on this API would be limited as it would not cause a
change in structure size. We'd ideally need some kind of version field to be
completely safe but I guess that would be somewhat overkill.

Now considering this API was written without an initial implementation, all
structure definitions that do not make sense are still open to debate, we
can adjust them as needed.

--
Adrien Mazarguil
6WIND