[dpdk-dev] OpenSSL libcrypto PMD name

Declan Doherty declan.doherty at intel.com
Tue Oct 11 10:53:37 CEST 2016

On 10/10/16 12:36, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to raise a naming issue in crypto.
>
> In the crypto side of DPDK, we have a library (similar to ethdev)
> for crypto API and device interface:
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_cryptodev
> There are also some drivers (which are some libraries):
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/crypto
> Most of them (6/8) are some DPDK wrappers for external libraries.
>
> Recently was introduced the libcrypto PMD which is a wrapper for
> the OpenSSL libcrypto.
> As we already have a lot of crypto libraries, I'm afraid the name
> libcrypto is really confusing. Why not call it openssl PMD?
>
> PS: I know OpenSSL has 2 libraries - ssl and crypto - but I do not
> expect any high-level SSL feature in a crypto driver.
> So drivers/crypto/openssl should not be confusing.

Hey Thomas,

I can see the how this could get pretty confusion especially to those
not familiar with the implementation details. I think the current name
makes sense using the rational that we are only using the libcrypto
library from openssl and not libssl but it doesn't make things exactly
clear within DPDK.

My thought is that we could just call the PMD "base_sw", as this is the
function which it is intended to provide, a base implementation of
algorithms for which there isn't an optimized/vectorised software
implementation or a fall back for systems which don't support the
required vector or CPU instructions for the optimized libraries. Also
this would allow us at a later date extend beyond the scope of Openssl
if required.

Declan