[dpdk-dev] [RFC] examples/ethtool: enhance ethtool app in i40e

Remy Horton remy.horton at intel.com
Wed Sep 21 12:20:30 CEST 2016

On 20/09/2016 08:30, Qiming Yang wrote:
> Now, run the example/ethtool, the drvinfo can not show the fireware
> information. From customer point of view, it should be better if we
> can have the same as kernel version ethtool show the bus-info and
> firmware-version. We need to add a variable in struct rte_eth_dev_info
> to get the fw version.
> I’m interested in:
> a) this approach is appropriate?
> b) would prefer a change of the API?

The approach is nice and clean, but the changes to rte_eth_dev_info are
an ABI break.

One alternative is to add a new function (and associated driver function
pointers) to fetch the version string, but my feeling is if one is to go
down that road, they may as well generalise it into a driver info
querying mini-API.

..Remy