[dpdk-dev] vfio: failed to select IOMMU type

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Mon Apr 24 11:09:03 CEST 2017

Hi Alejandro,

> I have tested this approach and it works for the single device per group case, which is the one I can test by now. But I'm not sure I understood this comment about using a old kernel for testing the multiple devices per group case. Can you confirm if I understood this correctly? If I use an old kernel, devices like VFs are created in the same IOMMU group?

I cannot confirm this for every use case, but I've done some recent testing with VFIO on an old kernel for an unrelated patch, and I noticed that if I used kernel 3.6, all my physical ports were assigned the same IOMMU group (as opposed to different ones with a more recent kernel). So I think it's a safe bet to at least try and test this on your side :)

Thanks,
Anatoly