[dpdk-dev] [RFC] ethdev: add ioctl-like API to control device specific features

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Aug 8 20:02:00 CEST 2017

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 17:28:19 +0000
"Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:

> Fix format.
>
> > On Aug 4, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/3/2017 8:53 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> >> 03/08/2017 18:15, Stephen Hemminger:

> >> I agree with Stephen.
> >>
> >> And please do not forget that ioctl still requires an API:
> >> the argument that you put in ioctl is the API of the feature.
> >> So it is the same thing as defining a new function.
> >
> > I am also not fan of the ioctl usage. I believe it hides APIs behind ids
> > and prevent argument check by compiler.
> >
> > BUT, the number of the increasing PMD specific APIs are also worrying,
> > it is becoming harder to maintain, and I believe this is something NOT
> > sustainable in long run.
> >

> > What about having *eth_dev_extended_ops* ?
>

> We had talk about adding something like device specific APIs to DPDK in the past, which to me are just IOCTL like APIs. The big problem with IOCTLs is trying to cram a bunch of specific requests into a very generic API and I do not like ioctl as defined in Linux/Unix today. The old IOCTLs calls are too opaque and difficult for compilers to test args and many other issues.
>
> We talked about having a single API in rte_eth_dev that would allow a user to ask for and possible get a list of function pointers in a given structure for the requested type. If a user calls this API to get some feature from a given NIC he would get NULL or a pointer to a set of functions. The generic API in rte_eth would allow the user to request what structures or types of APIs it supports.
>
> Using a specific API to get the list of APIs or supported features in a NIC, will allow the developer to request the set of APIs (in an array or some method). Then we have real APIs for specific control or requests and not a generic API like ioctl.
>
> Cristian had suggested an API like this to make it easy to add any IOCTL like needs to a driver. We can define a set of structures that seem generic for some IOCTL like needs or just allow the NIC to define his own structures and APIs. Allowing the developer to define his own structures and APIs is not very generic or usable by the users, so I would lean toward defining structures set need today and expand those structures in the future or add more structures.
>
> int rte_eth_dev_something(uint16_t port_id, const char *feature, void **obj);
>
> Using strings we can define or the NIC vendor can define to ask for a pointer to a structure he knows via a driver header. Strings are good, because we can read them via the debug or print them out quickly instead of trying to use some lookup table. Plus we can have any length or characters for defining the structure request.
>
> Just off the top of my head, but it can be changed if needed.
>

> > As a part of the rte_eth_dev. This can be in the librte_ether library
> > but in a separated file.
> >
> > And the APIs for these ops can be less strict on compatibility, and
> > easier to add.

> [...]

The real question is how important is that DPDK is the playground for HW features?
My impression is that the current process is HW supplier driven "we support offload of XYZZY".

The existing control of device model is already a multi-path mess of config API's, device args,
and magic scripts. That needs to be addressed first.

There is very little community input from users, that is the problem.

IMHO if a new hardware feature can't be made to fit into a standard OS model like Linux
because it is too hard then adding it to DPDK is a mistake.