[dpdk-dev] Announcement of SSE requirement change in dpdk

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Aug 11 22:29:24 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:21:32PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> Can anyone point out to me when and where the change to require SSE4.2 was
> dicussed?  The first I saw of it was when the commit to the release notes went
> in on August 3, and I can find no prior mention of it, save for the patches that
> went in separately in the prior weeks.
>
> Neil

There was no real widespread discussion of it, if that's what you are
looking for. I made the proposal via patch, and it was reviewed and
acked by a number of folks, with nobody raising any objections at the
time. Possibly it was a change that should have been more widely
publicised ahead of time, but I'm not sure what form that publicization
should have taken, since all tech discussion happens on the dev mailing
list anyway.
Not that I'm planning any similar changes, but for the future, what do
you think the process for changes like this should be - and what changes
would classify for it? If we have a process problem, let's try and fix
it.

Regards,
/Bruce.