[dpdk-dev] A question about GRO neighbor packet matching

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Thu Dec 7 01:19:46 CET 2017

As I remember, linux GRO implementation *does* require that IP IDs
of the merging packets to be continuous.

net/ipv4/af_inet.c:
static struct sk_buff **inet_gro_receive(struct sk_buff **head,
					 struct sk_buff *skb)
{
 	id = ntohl(*(__be32 *)&iph->id);
	flush = (u16)((ntohl(*(__be32 *)iph) ^ skb_gro_len(skb)) | (id & ~IP_DF));
	id >>= 16;

	NAPI_GRO_CB(p)->flush_id =
			    ((u16)(ntohs(iph2->id) + NAPI_GRO_CB(p)->count) ^ id);
	NAPI_GRO_CB(p)->flush |= flush;

And then at net/ipv4/tcp_offload.c:
struct sk_buff **tcp_gro_receive(struct sk_buff **head, struct sk_buff *skb)
{
	/* Include the IP ID check below from the inner most IP hdr */
	flush = NAPI_GRO_CB(p)->flush | NAPI_GRO_CB(p)->flush_id;
	if (flush || skb_gro_receive(head, skb)) {

The reason why we do need to check that IP ID is continuous -
DPDK GRO library doesn't strip off IPv4 header, instead it has to merge them into one.
If IP ID would be non-contiguous it is unclear which one should be to used.
By same reason packets with different IP/TCP options are not allowed.
So in that case GRO lib makes a decision that it isn't safe to merge these packets.
As I understand linux does pretty much the same.
Konstantin