[dpdk-dev] Minutes of technical board meeting 2017-12-06

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Wed Dec 13 10:38:22 CET 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:30:11PM -0600, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Richardson, Bruce <
> bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
>

> > Topic: Management of old patches in patchwork * Unanimous agreement
> > that old patches should be rejected in patchwork after a reasonable
> > period, set initially at 3 releases (9 months).  * After a release,
> > all patches dated older than 3 releases previously, e.g. after
> > 17.11, any patches submitted before the release of 17.02, will be
> > marked as rejected and a mail reply sent to the appropriate mailing
> > list thread informing people of the same.  * To have patches
> > reconsidered for future inclusion, a new version of the patches
> > should be submitted to the mailing list.
> >

> Does this mean there is a commitment to act on submitted patches in a
> timely manner? Maybe this is better now, but at least in the past,
> even small patches to fix bugs would sit around with no action on them
> for 6+ months.
>
> It's been a while since I submitted any patches, so if this isn't an
> issue now, then nevermind :-)

Being honest, I don't think we could ever say it's not a problem, and I
also don't believe we could ever make a committment to always respond to
patches in a timely manner. Each maintainer is responsible for reviewing
and "managing" patches in their area of responsibility and some
maintainers will be faster to respond than others. We have, however, a
documented procedure for having patches merged once acked by the
maintainer, so that should have improved things. Up to getting
maintainer ack, it is still up to the submitter to ping the maintainer
to review if no response is forthcoming on the patch submission.

/Bruce