[dpdk-dev] rte_port_ring and SP/MP, SC/MC flags

Dumitrescu, Cristian cristian.dumitrescu at intel.com
Thu Feb 2 00:00:12 CET 2017

Hi Yerden,

Yes, we can detect the SP/MP and SC/MC characteristic of each rte_ring by looking inside the structure, at least at this point. As a side note, personally I see this as an implementation detail that might change, and I don't want to rely on it too much (yes, we do rely on it for validation purpose at port_ring creation time, as you state).

> I find it confusing to be forced to choose between SP/MP, SC/MC twice,
> when creating ring at first and creating abstraction afterwards. And I
> see no point in checking for ring flags when creating abstraction
> because it really does not affect the operation of this abstraction
> anyway. Is this behaviour anyhow justified?

Yes, we could have decided to have a unified implementation of rte_port_ring reader/writer that handles the SC/MC or SP/MP aspect transparently, but we decided against it because we want to write branchless code. The unified implementation would have to test the internal S/M flag on every call of the port_ring RX/TX function, which would have a performance impact, especially when a mix of S and M port rings are used within the same app.

> --
>
> Yerden Zhumabekov

Regards,
Cristian