[dpdk-dev] [libvirt] [RFC] Vhost-user backends cross-version migration support

Maxime Coquelin maxime.coquelin at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 10:41:12 CET 2017

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 08:27:18PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> No, it wouldn't be in the XML at all. Nova on the source queries what
>>> vhostuser version it has and what the target host has, and can prevent
>>> the migration if they're incompatible.
>>
>> This is not sufficient. Exactly the same as qemu machine type,
>> this must be preserved from time of install and moved
>> wherever VM goes.
>
> Nova has the ability todo that.
>
>>> I dont think libvirt has to be
>>> involved at all for this, as all the info can be obtained by nova/os-vif
>>> from the vhostuser impl it has configured.
>>
>> Given we are already confused at libvirt level, I find it
>> highly unlikely upper levels will do the right thing.
>
> The only confusion is about what must consume the data. I mistakenly
> thought it was being proposed that the qemu vhostuser backend was
> being given a version string. Now it seems the version info must be
> set against the 3rd party component that vhostuser connects to, and
> that is outside scope of libvirt. That is entirely managed by Nova
> today, so Nova is the right thing to manage this versioning info.

This is my understanding, with as example using Nova:
1. Before starting the VM, Nova queries source host's OVS and all
    possible destination hosts' OVS to retrieve supported versions
2. Nova chooses the first common version supported by all hosts
3. Nova create the dpdkvhostuser interfaces in OVS with passing the
    selected version as parameter

That should be enough, right? Or maybe I miss something?

Thanks,
Maxime