[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] decision process and DPDK scope

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Feb 10 18:23:11 CET 2017

2017-02-10 15:54, Bruce Richardson:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:49:05PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> > > The bigger question here is the default position of the DPDK community -
> > > default accept, or default reject. Your statements above all are very
> > > much keeping in the style of default reject i.e. every patch or change
> > > suggested is assumed to be unfit for acceptance unless reviewed in
> > > detail to prove beyond doubt otherwise.
> > >
> > > I believe that we should change this default position, as I think that
> > > reject by default is hurting the community and will continue to do so.

It is hurting because there is no clear explanation of the process.

> > > NOTE: I am not suggesting that we allow all code in with zero review,
> > > but I am suggesting that if something has been reviewed and acked by at
> > > least one reviewer it should be automatically accepted unless some other
> > > reviewed objects in a TIMELY manner.

I see an issue with "automatic" decision after a period of time.
It puts a lot of pressure on the community to check everything.
I agree we should state this kind of default. But we should add two
exceptions:
	- new API or API change
	- a maintainer explicitly ask for a techboard discussion

> > I agree but in a more assertive manner. The maintainer should be the default
> > and active reviewer of all submissions. Like other projects the maintainers job
> > is to review and accept (or provide constructive feedback). Otherwise the
> > job could just by done by some manager.
> >
> > But recently, I have changed my mind. The current DPDK project model is not
> > scaling well. After hearing some of the arguments in favor of a multiple
> > committer model (see "Maintainers Don't Scale" )
> > https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2016/talks/maintainers-dont-scale/
> >
> > And comments on lwn:
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/703005/
> >
> Might it be worthwhile to try out having 2 or 3 committers to each tree
> and see how it works? From the presentation you link too, the claim is
> that moving from 1 to 2 is the hardest, and expanding beyond that
> becomes easier.

I think the first thing to improve is the decision process.
Increasing the number of committers, without agreeing on a clear
decision process, would make things worse.