[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Is PF-only driver allowed to upstream into dpdk?

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Mon Feb 13 11:05:36 CET 2017

On 2/13/2017 9:43 AM, Netala, Sameera wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Sameera,

> I am currently working on a non-nic mode user space PCI driver which processes custom packets from OCTEON 7xxx processor. As per the requirements, DPDK is the best way to achieve this.

Can you please give more information about hardware? Is this an offload
engine?

> Though I have seen few designs and sources that talk about dpdk pf drivers, I am interested to know if such a driver with pf-only support and which doesn't involve virtual functions will be allowed to upstream into DPDK sources.

There is no problem with PF only drivers, and there are already samples
of it in the project.

As long as driver is open source and for data path, it is good for
upstream. Please feel free to upstream your driver when it is ready.

The discussion about DPDK PF drivers was about if DPDK PF driver should
be in control path or not, this is high level project scope discussion.

Thanks,
ferruh