[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] decision process and DPDK scope

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Mon Feb 13 11:34:46 CET 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 06:23:11PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2017-02-10 15:54, Bruce Richardson:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:49:05PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> It is hurting because there is no clear explanation of the process.

> I see an issue with "automatic" decision after a period of time.
> It puts a lot of pressure on the community to check everything.
> I agree we should state this kind of default. But we should add two
> exceptions:
> 	- new API or API change
> 	- a maintainer explicitly ask for a techboard discussion

Ok, I will accept the referral to the tech board as a reason to not
automatically apply, but I disagree on the API one. For all types of
changes we need to clearly document the number of reviews needed to get
the patches in, and who needs to agree. Once those conditions are met,
we must have a mandatory merge. The difference between adding a new API
and adding an internal code change should only be in the conditions
required for mandatory merge. There must still be an automatic decision
after a set period of time, otherwise we will still see issues with
people leaving reviews till the last minute and then flagging problems
with a patch blocking its merge.

/Bruce