[dpdk-dev] DPDK 17.02 RC-3 performance degradation of ~10%

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) hhaim at cisco.com
Tue Feb 14 12:44:38 CET 2017

Hi,

We (trex traffic generator project) upgrade DPDK version from 16.07 to 17.02arc-3 and we experienced a performance degradation on the following NICS:

XL710  : 10-15%
ixgbe   :  8% in one case
mlx5    : 8% 2 case
X710    :  no impact (same driver as XL710)
VIC       : no impact

It might be related to DPDK infra change as it affects more than one driver (maybe mbuf?).
Wanted to know if this is expected before investing more into this. The Y axis numbers in all the following charts (from Grafana) are MPPS/core which means how many cycles per packet the CPU invest. Bigger MPPS/core means less CPU cycles to send packet.

Labeles:

trex-08 (XL710)
trex-09 (X710)
trex-07 (mlx5)
kiwi02 (ixgbe)

Grafanna charts can be seen here: (we can't share pointers to Grafanna)
https://snag.gy/wGYp3c.jpg

More information on the tests and setups can be found in this document
https://trex-tgn.cisco.com/trex/doc/trex_analytics.html

link to the project
https://github.com/cisco-system-traffic-generator/trex-core

Thanks,