[dpdk-dev] Why MLX4 can only generate 6Mpp/s (64B pkt) by one core?

Royce Niu royceniu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:51:04 CET 2017

Dear all,

My  Mellanox 3 Pro can only generate packet at maximum of 6Mpp/s (64B) by
one core. This is too slow for a 40Gbps port. Could anyone give me a hint
please?

Configuration:
Followed: http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/mlx4.html

1. install MLNX_OFED_LINUX-3.4-2.0.0.0
2. Added CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX4_PMD=y in .config
3. make DPDK 16.07.2
4. Closed Dell S6000 swith flow control (both rx,tx)
5. Made sure all ports are in 40GBE mode

With my own pkt-gen and DPDK-pktgen, both generate at 6Mpps of 64B pkt by
one core, which is so slow, since I can generate 14Mpps via an Intel X520
10G interface.

Thanks.

Royce