[dpdk-dev] Pktgen DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD (LACP) not working with BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled

Vincent Li vincent.mc.li at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:08:19 CET 2017

Hi,

I have direct two cable connections between Pktgen DPDK box and BIGIP

this is a problem I am not sure if it Pktgen, or the DPDK net bonding mode
4 LACP, or the BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled issue, I am hoping someone
here have more clue and give me some direction on how to trouble shoot
this. I am suspecting there might some issue between DPDK net bonding
8023ad mode 4 and BIGIP trunk LACP mode. I turned
on CONFIG_RTE_LOG_LEVEL=RTE_LOG_DEBUG and
defined RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c hoping getting more debug
output in Pktgen, I could not see any debug output for 8023ad protocol.

packet tx/rx works :

1 Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 1, 2, 3, 5
2 BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk port status UP)

packet tx/rx failed:

1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
2, BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled (trunk status is DOWN)

or
1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
2, BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk status is UP)

my end goal is to achieve 10G < througput < 20G with Pktgen DPDK net
bonding with Intel 82599 to load test BIGIP, so far with bonding mode 1,
2,3, 5, I am unable to achieve throughput > 10G.