[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Pktgen DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD (LACP) not working with BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Jan 11 19:51:30 CET 2017

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Vincent Li <vincent.mc.li at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have direct two cable connections between Pktgen DPDK box and BIGIP
>
> this is a problem I am not sure if it Pktgen, or the DPDK net bonding mode
> 4 LACP, or the BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled issue, I am hoping someone
> here have more clue and give me some direction on how to trouble shoot
> this. I am suspecting there might some issue between DPDK net bonding
> 8023ad mode 4 and BIGIP trunk LACP mode. I turned
> on CONFIG_RTE_LOG_LEVEL=RTE_LOG_DEBUG and
> defined RTE_LIBRTE_BOND_DEBUG_8023AD
> in drivers/net/bonding/rte_eth_bond_8023ad.c hoping getting more debug
> output in Pktgen, I could not see any debug output for 8023ad protocol.

I am not going to be much help as I do not and have not used BIGIP.

I assume you have the Pktgen that supports bonding mode 4. The previous Pktgen version would not call tx_burst() unless it had something to send, which the bonding driver requires tx_burst() with zero packets at least at a given interval. The latest versions do call tx_burst() with zero pkts at least within the needed timing.

> packet tx/rx works :
>
> 1 Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 1, 2, 3, 5
> 2 BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk port status UP)
>
> packet tx/rx failed:
>
> 1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
> 2, BIGIP trunk with LACP enabled (trunk status is DOWN)
>
> or
> 1, Pktgen with DPDK net bonding mode 4 802.3AD
> 2, BIGIP trunk with LACP disabled (trunk status is UP)
>
> my end goal is to achieve 10G < througput < 20G with Pktgen DPDK net
> bonding with Intel 82599 to load test BIGIP, so far with bonding mode 1,
> 2,3, 5, I am unable to achieve throughput > 10G.

Regards,
Keith