[dpdk-dev] i40e_aq_get_phy_capabilities() fails when using SFP+ with no link

Wu, Jingjing jingjing.wu at intel.com
Tue Jan 17 13:50:50 CET 2017

Hi, Oliver

Let me

Christos reports this issue is introduced by the  http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-September/047663.html
Which is the commit

commit edfb226f69bf68d514c9abae4b99b98aeb7c6a32
Author: Qi Zhang <qi.z.zhang at intel.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 27 09:37:21 2016 +0800

    net/i40e: use PHY type to check PHY capability

    Using device ID to check PHY capability is not extensible.

    Now we are using PHY type to detect PHY capability.

    All link speeds supported by the device are encoded into PHY type,
    and PHY type value can be read by admin queue "get_phy_capability"
    command at initialization stage.

While, your issue seems been introduce by
commit f4668a33efe5311301e10bc6e3709a2eccb446ad
Author: Qiming Yang <qiming.yang at intel.com>
Date:   Fri Nov 4 17:10:50 2016 +0800

    net/i40e: fix link status change interrupt

    Previously, link status interrupt in i40e is achieved by checking
    LINK_STAT_CHANGE_MASK in PFINT_ICR0 register which is provided only
    for diagnostic use. Instead, drivers need to get the link status
    change notification by using LSE (Link Status Event).

    This patch enables LSE and calls LSC callback when the event is
    received. This patch also removes the processing on
    LINK_STAT_CHANGE_MASK.

As my understanding, the first commit is try to get the phy type during initialization time,
it may cause error according to different PHYs.
But about the second one, I think the changes are only related to LSC (Link status change interrupt).
And I didn’t get the relationship between your issue and this patch.
Anyway, About the question " the consequences of reverting this patch", the answer is
It may affect the feature Link status change interrupt. Without the patch, there is an issue like:
When lsc is enabled, and link status change happens, interrupt is trigger, but the link status queried
by API rte_eth_link_get is not changed at all immediately.

Thanks
Jingjing