[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/8] mbuf: structure reorganization
olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Tue Jan 24 16:19:25 CET 2017
Based on discussion done in , this patchset reorganizes the mbuf.
The main changes are:
- reorder structure to increase vector performance on some non-ia
- add a 64bits timestamp field in the 1st cache line
- m->next, m->nb_segs, and m->refcnt are always initialized for mbufs
in the pool, avoiding the need of setting m->next (located in the
2nd cache line) in the Rx path for mono-segment packets.
- change port and nb_segs to 16 bits
- move seqn in the 2nd cache line
Things discussed but not done in the patchset:
- move refcnt and nb_segs to the 2nd cache line: many drivers sets
them in the Rx path, so it could introduce a performance regression, or
it would require to change all the drivers, which is not an easy task.
- remove the m->port field: too much impact on many examples and libraries,
and some people highlighted they are using it.
- moving m->next in the 1st cache line: there is not enough room, and having
it set to NULL for unused mbuf should remove the need for it.
- merge seqn and timestamp together in a union: we could imagine use cases
were both are activated. There is no flag indicating the presence of seqn,
so it looks preferable to keep them separated for now.
I made some basic performance tests (ixgbe) and see no regression, but
the patchset requires more testing.
Jerin Jacob (1):
mbuf: make rearm data address naturally aligned
Olivier Matz (7):
mbuf: make segment prefree function public
mbuf: make raw free function public
mbuf: set mbuf fields while in pool
net: don't touch mbuf next or nb segs on Rx
mbuf: use 2 bytes for port and nb segments
mbuf: move sequence number in second cache line
mbuf: add a timestamp field
app/test-pmd/csumonly.c | 4 +-
drivers/net/ena/ena_ethdev.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/enic/enic_rxtx.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/fm10k/fm10k_rxtx.c | 6 +-
drivers/net/fm10k/fm10k_rxtx_vec.c | 9 +-
drivers/net/i40e/i40e_rxtx_vec_common.h | 6 +-
drivers/net/i40e/i40e_rxtx_vec_sse.c | 11 +-
drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx.c | 10 +-
drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx_vec_common.h | 6 +-
drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx_vec_neon.c | 9 --
drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx_vec_sse.c | 9 --
drivers/net/mlx5/mlx5_rxtx.c | 11 +-
drivers/net/mpipe/mpipe_tilegx.c | 3 +-
drivers/net/null/rte_eth_null.c | 2 -
drivers/net/virtio/virtio_rxtx.c | 3 -
drivers/net/virtio/virtio_rxtx_simple.h | 6 +-
.../linuxapp/eal/include/exec-env/rte_kni_common.h | 5 +-
lib/librte_mbuf/rte_mbuf.c | 4 +
lib/librte_mbuf/rte_mbuf.h | 114 ++++++++++++++++-----
19 files changed, 124 insertions(+), 98 deletions(-)
More information about the dev