[dpdk-dev] rte_port_ring and SP/MP, SC/MC flags

Yerden Zhumabekov e_zhumabekov at sts.kz
Mon Jan 30 06:42:56 CET 2017

Hello,

I'd like to use rte_port_ring abstract in my application and I'm a
little confused about how it treats underlying ring flags.

According to DPDK API reference, when creating a ring (via
rte_ring_create()/rte_ring_init()), RING_F_SP_ENQ/RING_F_SC_DEQ may be
specified. These flags affect the choice of MP/SP, MC/SC operation when
using 'default' ring enq/deq API, i.e.
rte_ring_enqueue()/rte_ring_dequeue(),
rte_ring_enqueue_bulk()/rte_ring_dequeue_bulk(),
rte_ring_enqueue_burst()/rte_ring_dequeue_burst().

These API then choose which version of enq/deq to use considering the
flags. If you use designated API straightforward, those API (*_mp_*,
*_sc_* etc.) don't care about these flags and perform required
operations right away.

When I use rte_port_ring abstraction, '.f_create()' functions check for
flags which were used when creating an underlying ring (see
lib/librte_port/rte_port_ring.c:75). But then different call tables use
designated ring API which makes checking flags pointless.

I find it confusing to be forced to choose between SP/MP, SC/MC twice,
when creating ring at first and creating abstraction afterwards. And I
see no point in checking for ring flags when creating abstraction
because it really does not affect the operation of this abstraction
anyway. Is this behaviour anyhow justified?

--

Yerden Zhumabekov