[dpdk-dev] [Process] Git Fixline Suggestion

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Wed Jul 12 12:49:58 CEST 2017

12/07/2017 10:40, Van Haaren, Harry:
> Hi All,
>
> I propose to add CC: <author> to the output of the git fixline command[1].
>
> The logic here is that if it is a fix to the previous code, the original author of that code should be informed. Currently the author must read the mailing-list carefully in order to ensure that no patches are missed, that fix code that they are the author of.
>
> The new workflow is the same as before: copy the output of "git fixline" into the commit message. The output would now be two lines as follows:
>
> Fixes: 17b8320a3e11 ("vhost: remove index parameter")
> cc: author at domain.com
>

> The following git fixline achieves this:
>
> git log -1 --abbrev=12 --format="Fixes: %h (\"%s\")%nCC:%ae"
>

> Opinions? -Harry

Good idea.
Two comments:

- minor nit: CC should be Cc to be consistent with what is suggested
by check-git-log.sh for stable at dpdk.org.

- Do we want to keep this Cc in the git history or is it just
to notify people on the mailing list?
I think it is good to keep in history the tags Acked-by: or Reviewed-by:.
But if the author does not review the fix, I do not see the benefit of
saving his name in the history.