[dpdk-dev] TX descriptor is not done

Alex Kiselev kiselev99 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 13:30:08 CEST 2017

Hi.

New info on my problem.

"Tx descriptor is not done" error messages and tx queues stopped
transmitting packets showed up after I upgraded dpdk from 16.07 to
17.02.1 version and switched from using standalone ports to using the
bonding driver. Since then I've been trying to find a cause of the
problems in the bonding driver only and haven't thought that upgrading
dpdk could also be a reason for my problems. Today I rolled back dpdk
version to 16.07 and all problems have gone.

I have “tx descriptor is not done” errors only on one machine and I
can’t reproduce them on another machine that has different CPU and
motherboard model.

Is there any way to find out what is causing tx queue to stop
transmitting packet in the newer dpdk version?
I am ready to execute any necessary tests and provide more information
on my environment, but I need some guidance or hints where should I
look more carefully?

> Hi.
>
> Exсume me for bothering you here in the dev list. I was trying to get some
> help in the users list, but the only answer I got suggested to post here.
>
> I am facing "TX descriptor is not done" problem that appears when I am using
> two i40e ports (x710-da2 nic) as slave ports of a bonding (lacp mode) port.
> Before I switched to using the bonding driver my application had been
> working for weeks without any problems. But now it works ok only for hours
> or days and then one of the tx queues stops transmitting packets. Last time
> tx queue number 2 (of total 5) failed on both slave ports at the same time.
>
> What could cause that behavior?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Alex Kiselev